Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pasteis de Nata


A few days ago I received an email from J. Crew that featured information about their newest catalog, Spring Awakening, which was shot in Portugal. As always I was inspired by the clothes, but this time, the unbelievable backdrop of Portugal was the real scene stealer. One thing that really caught my eye were the Pasteis de Nata, a custard and pastry treat that has quite a history in Portugal. I found a recipe on Algarve Buzz and without ever really having had an interest in pastries or dessert making I decided to give it a try. Not only were the pastries out of this world delicious, but they were tons of fun to make.

Here they are just before they went in the oven.

61515609-3e628b839cf0d4890a6f18c49354027f_4b6875bc-full


And here's the finished product. They could be a bit puffier...and burnt. Jeremy made a few yesterday and brought them to me at lunch, his were burnt and were scrumptious.

61528638



**With the left over custard I made pancakes with custard filling. Kind of like a mix between an eclair and a half baked pancake. Jeremy thought it was a bit strange but ate his anyway. I thought it was a bit strange as well, but that just made me love it even more.

No comments: